Sunday, May 20, 2007

The Truths that All Teachers Know

So, this blog idea is both ingenious and evil. As I understand it, the idea is to make sure that students are actually, you know, doing their research. Generally the idea is that the teacher pretends that the students are taking the entire time given to complete the assignment, even though everyone knows that the assignment will get started maybe around 10:00 the night before it's due.

Of course, I myself am not guilty of this as you can tell by the time this was posted. In fact, I am so responsible, that I'm posting on the weekend after the blog was assigned (This is only because I saw that other "responsible" students like Joe and Gabby had posted of their blogs and I wanted to seem as awesome as them).

So Truth #1 is that students procrastinate. Truth #2 is that most students use wikipedia, despite it's bad rep for unreliable information. So I've decided that in the spirit of honesty I will first post the information that is found on wikipedia. Now, have no fear teachers, I will not rely on this information. I will merely use it as a starting point. What's kind of ironic about this is that I actually didn't go to wikipedia first, but I lost the name of the website I was on.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meningococcal_disease

Ha! There's not much there. I've been let down by Jimmy Wales (It said on the back of my mother's Starbucks Cup that he started Wikipedia).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meningitis

The above page has much more information. Apparently, Meningitis is caused by microorganisms. Also, there is an area in Africa known as the Meningitis Belt. I will definitely have to look that up at a reliable source. That might be the area we can study. The disease has huge outbreaks there.

It can be treated with Penicillin G (Miles is allergic that), but must be diagnosed and treated quickly. There are also several vaccines for different types of Meningitis. From this article it sounds like Meningoccal Disease (my topic), only refers to one type of Meningitis. That might complicate our research.

So my plan over the next week is to learn more about the "Meningitis Belt" in Africa, learn more about the way the disease actually affects the body, and learn some more about penicillin. I think that should be quite a bit. I wonder how long I could put it off?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the honesty, Samara. And imagine that, it seems like you learned something. Keep up the good work!